Le Dimore del Quartetto

TENUTA DI BOSSI, PONTASSIEVE (FI)

Categories , ,

One of the Gondi family’s most important estates is the Villa Bossi in Pontassieve, which has belonged to them since 1592.
In the second half of the 18th century, under the ownership of Niccolò Antonino Gondi, the Villa Bossi was extensively remodelled, enlarged and embellished with splendid baroque decorations, while its small chapel became a real church with three altars and a grand organ. The church contains the tombs of every member of the Gondi family who owned the villa from that time on.
The Villa Bossi assumed an increasingly important role for the family, and between 1878 and 1884 it was remodelled and enlarged by closing off the central courtyard that had previously been open to the valley. This was done at the initiative of Francesco Gondi’s young widow, Maria de la Bruierre, a French noblewoman who, unsatisfied with the Florence of the day, preferred to spend much of her time in her country villa. In addition to creating the central drawing room, she added another floor to the villa, with servants’ quarters and a great wardrobe. She also had the cellars enlarged by building a great room under the garden equipped for wine-making, entered through a long stairway leading down from the rooms where the wine was aged in oakwood barrels and barriques. She had the whole cellar partially covered with soil, to ensure a more stable temperature in both winter and summer, adorned a great park with Cedars of Lebanon and yew trees, and laid out a formal Italian garden in front of the villa. With these large-scale projects the villa lost its previous austere look, and still today reflects a certain French taste.
Today the owners are the latest Gondi descendants, Marchese Bernardo and his wife Vittoria, and their sons. The family still produces Chianti Rufina wine and extra-virgin olive oil on the ancient Bossi estate in Pontassieve.