Today’s Palazzo Murmura located next to the Chiesa degli Angeli, was owned by the principal branch of the Gagliardi’sfamily. In 1889 the Palace became the property of the Murmura family thanks to the wedding of Antonietta Gurgo of the Dukes of Castelmenardo, widow of Francesco Gagliardi , with Pasquale Murmura.
Is located in Vibo Valentia and it was built after the 1783’s earthquake. It is said that the project was commissioned to Giuseppe and Battista Vinci, the same architects of Palazzo di Francia, following the anti-seismic prescriptions contained in the rescript of 17 April 1785 of the vicar Francesco Pignatelli, regarding both the wooden supporting structure and the height of the building that had to have only one ground floor and a first floor with small balconies. The period should have been previous to 1799, year in which Giuseppe Vinci, was killed in Altamura while he was fighting alongside Cardinal Ruffo in the Senfedista army for the conquest of the kingdom of Naples, but also not subsequent to 1802, because that year the Baron Luigi Gagliardi was authorized by a letter of the president Antonio Winspeare to the auditor Perotti, to close the vaulted celing (which conducted to the Capuchins) between his palace and the Chiesa degli Angeli. Gagliardi promptly implemented the concession that he insistently asked for. Today of this vault remains only a light point behind the aedicule with shutters and the original passage is used as a closet. The family lived permanently in the building as it is attested by the will of Maria Teresa Beatrice Strani, domiciled in Strada dei Basiliani, ancient name of a part of the Vibo Valentia’s boulevard.
The building measures 1700 mq and is made of 2 floors and the ground floor, where the offices of the Associazione Pro fondazione Antonino Murmura are sited and where two large portals with round arches lead through the hall, in the master apartments. On the noble floor there are balconies with cymatium and volutes on the sides of which there are hanging torches in wrought iron. Frames, crowns, pilasters, marcapiani in relief, adorn the façade.
Inside there is a patronal chapel that overlooks the garden. The residency is completed by a garden that was a part of the larger park of Palazzo Gagliardi, wanted by the Marquese Caterina Gagliardi, which is characterized by secular trees, boxwood hedges, neoclassic statues and a stone dovecot. At the end of the garden a passage opens up (with a wrought iron gate) that works as an entrance, historically used for carriages, while at the center of the garden there is a cistern, probably used for to collect rainwater, from the rooftop of which one can enjoy a beautiful landscape. Both the structures are decorated with materials of different origin such as shells and fossils.