In 1649 Maria Maddalena Macchiavelli, the wife of the Marchese Filippo Corsini, purchased this palace from the Grand Duke Ferdinando II de’ Medici. Originally Palazzo Corsini was what was called a casino (a small house surrounded by a large garden that extended to the banks of the Arno River where Lungarno Corsini is located), and belonged first to the Ardinghelli family, then to the Medici, then the Corsini and today it is in the hands of their descendants Miari Fulcis and Sanminiatelli.
The Palazzo displays stylistic traits of the late baroque throughout, incuding the roofs decorated with statues and terracotta vases – a novelty for Renaissance Florence – and the main, U-shaped courtyard that opens towards the riverbank. The construction continued non-stop for 50 years. The magnificent decorations done between 1692 and 1700 belong to one of the finest and most intense periods in Florentine painting. The family commissioned several artists to decorate the noble apartment on the first floor, that includes Galleria Aurora, the Salone, the ballroom and other important rooms: these outstanding painters included Anton Domenico Gabbiani, Alessandro Gherardini and Pier Dandini.