The Italian Embassy in Lisbon is located in the Palace of the Counts of Pombeiro which was purchased by the Italian Government in 1925, following the sale of Count Antonio. The Residence contains one of the most significant furnishing collections together with those of London and Paris.
The history of the palace originates in the early years of the 18th century when the III Count of Pombeiro began the construction of an architectural complex on the wishes of his grandmother, D. Luisa Ponce de Leao, lady companion of Caterina di Braganca. The structure of the beginning of the century was then seriously damaged by the earthquake of November 1, 1755 and was modified in the last decade of the century XVIII commissioned by D. José Luis de Vasconcelos and Sousa of the Marquises of Melhor Castle who had assumed the title of VI Count of Pombeiro. The figure around which the history of this dwelling revolves is that of Don Josè who played a prominent role in public life in Lisbon between the end of the century and the beginning of the nineteenth century both as a political representative and as a writer and lover of Arts. His home, in fact, was the meeting place of the Academy he established in 1790.
The chapel still survives in the garden, dedicated to Saint Mary Magdalene (second half of the 16th century), which remained unscathed after the earthquake, prior to the construction of the Palace.